Diploma in Pharmacy is a 2-year long career-oriented and entry-level diploma course. Students who want to pursue a long term career in medical sciences and especially pharmaceutical sciences are suitable for this course.
Diploma in Pharmacy is a course that is designed to prepare candidates to work under the direction of a licensed pharmacist in hospitals and other pharmaceutical-related fields. Candidates can also pursue MBA in Pharmaceutical Management after this course. Though, they need to finish their bachelors first.
Why Diploma in Pharmacy?
A diploma in Pharmacy has its own set of advantages and opportunities that provides an edge over other job roles. Some of the primary reason to pursue Diploma in Pharmacy is:
- Social Responsibility: Pharmacists play an essential role in society as they define the health care system. They are the ones who work for the health and welfare of the people of the community.
- Career options: They are the ones who work in organizations such as Hospitals, Nursing homes, colleges and the medical industry as a whole.
- Career growth: Health care is an ever-growing and non-static career. So, the students doing the courses like Diploma in Pharmacy and others have a vast scope in their growth and development.
- Flexibility: As it is a round the clock job, a pharmacist can opt for working either in a day shift or a night shift.
Numerous colleges and universities in India offer a Diploma in Pharmacy. But in this article, I will like to discuss the list of colleges in Assam that offers Diploma in Pharmacy course.
Assam is growing to be a land of opportunities. Its scenic beauty coupled with resources in every sector makes it a go-to state. People from other parts of India come to Assam to engage themselves in many kinds of businesses in every industry. One has ease of doing business in this part of the country because people here are friendly, and most importantly, they welcome people from other regions with open arms.
In recent years, we have seen numerous colleges and universities established in Assam, which offers the most quality education like that of the national and international standards. These colleges are the best in imparting education in various disciplines, and the standard of education will improve in the coming years.
Now, let’s discuss the colleges in Assam giving Diploma in Pharmacy as a career option.
1. Kaziranga University: Diploma in Pharmacy in Kaziranga University is a two-year course that gives its students in-depth knowledge about the science and technique behind pharmacy practices and medicines management. Kaziranga University is the first university to tie up with Apollo Medskills. Apollo Medskills is a medical skills development institute in India set up in 2012 as a joint venture between Apollo Hospitals and National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC). After completing the programme, students will have a guaranteed job through the college placement cell and gain the opportunity to go for higher education.
2.Girjananda Chowdhury Institute of Pharmaceutical Science-(GIPS), Guwahati: GIPS, Guwahati‘s mission is to produce world-class competent pharmacists who contribute to the local, national and global economies. They aim to create an environment that instils empathy, a high standard of ethical behaviour and professionalism. It is for those students who have passed their 10+2 or equivalent examination from any approved board or university with no less than 55% marks.
3. Royal Global University, Guwahati: The Diploma in Pharmacy at Royal Global University is designed to teach candidates the basic concepts of Pharmaceutical Sciences. Its purpose is to prepare the students with the necessary skills and academic knowledge to get into entry-level positions in retail pharmacies and pharmaceutical companies. The essential qualification needed to enrol in the course is a 10+2 in science stream with 50% marks (5% relaxation for SC/ST/OBC-Non Creamy Layer).
4. Assam Down Town University, Guwahati: The Diploma in Pharmacy in Assam Down Town University is a two-year programme planning to prepare students to work under a licensed pharmacist in hospitals, community pharmacies and other pharmaceutical-related fields. There are jobs in the Government and Private sector available for the students after completing their course. D.Pharm certificate holders can get a starting salary of 8-20K rupees per month; no matter what, it shall grow as their experiences evolve. The eligibility of the course is that the students should have a minimum of 55% marks in the 10+2 science stream.
5.Srimanta Sankaradeva University of Health Sciences (SSUHS), Guwahati: Srimanta Sankaradeva University of Health Sciences is located in Guwahati, Assam. It is the only Health University in the North Eastern Region of India and was established in 2009 under “The Srimanta Sankaradeva University of Health Science Act, 2007”. The educational qualification for the D. Pharm course is that the candidate must have passed the H.S Exam (10+2) or Equivalent Examination with Physics, Chemistry and Biology and Mathematics from a recognized Board/Council/University without grace marks. The candidates should be permanent residents of Assam.
6. NETES Institute of Pharmaceutical Science-(NIPS), Kamrup: NETES Institute of Pharmaceutical Science-(NIPS), Kamrup, Assam was established in 2017 at NEMCARE Group of Institutions under the flagship of NEMCARE Foundation. The institute provides pharmacy courses of both B. Pharm and D. Pharm. Entry to this course is based on both merit and entrance exams. The application mode is online.
7. NEPEDS Group of Institutions, Guwahati: NEPEDS is one of the premieres Registered Paramedical, Nursing and skill development Institutions that has grown bigger and better with time and has trained more than 2213 students to date and positively changed their lives. Its inception was in 2006. Students who want to join the D. Pharm programme have to fulfil the given eligibility criteria:
1. For admission to the D. Pharmacy courses, students must have passed class 12th with Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics/Biology (Optional) individually.
2. Students have to secure a minimum of 45% marks in the qualifying examination.
These are some colleges that are providing Diploma in Pharmacy courses in Assam. If you wish to know further about the scope of pharmacy courses, read this article: Pharma courses scope in 2021 in the health sector?